There's nothing like a day out in wine country and what better way to do it, than in a relaxed atmosphere with great company and…
INTERNATIONAL CABERNET MASTERCLASS: The Story of Cabernet
October 14 @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm ACDT$190
Cabernet Sauvignon is a thick-skinned, hardy, disease-resistant variety when planted in sympathetic environs and can produce wines with extraordinary power, elegance, structure and complexity. It produces some of the most exquisite and long-lived wines in the world. For centuries Bordeaux has been the reference for this variety.
During the 19th Century, cuttings were sent to new winemaking countries including California, Chile, the Cape Colony and Australia. After making its way into New South Wales in 1837, it found a perfect home in South Australia when Scottish pioneer John Riddoch established the Coonawarra Fruit Colony in 1893.
Coonawarra Cabernet is profoundly interlinked with the story of vinestock transmission around Australia. In modern times it has been at forefront of vineyard and wine making innovation, regionality, ageability and endurance.
This tasting will explore the history of Australian cabernet since the earliest days of colonial settlement and the progress of regional cabernet styles into current times. It will feature 12 wines that epitomise varietal and regional identity. While focussing on the elegance, identity and diversity of Coonawarra Cabernet, there wll be contrasting styles from Bordeaux, Italy, Margaret River and South Africa.
Join Andrew Caillard MW, author of the soon-to-be-released three-volume book ‘The Australian Ark – The story of Australian Wine 1788 to the Modern Era,’ and Sue Hodder, Senior Winemaker at Wynns Coonawarra Estate for this exclusive, fascinating and not-to-be-missed masterclass.
THE LINE UP:
- 2013 Wynns John Riddoch Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2019 Redman Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2022 Penley Estate Project ‘E’ Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2019 Parker Coonawarra Estate First Growth Cabernet Blend
- 2018 Zema Estate Family Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2015 Pelfolds Cellar Reserve Coonawarra Cabernet Barossa Valley Shiraz
- 2019 Vasse Felix Cabernet Sauvignon, Margaret River
- 2019 Mount Mary Quintet, Yarra Valley
- 2015 Chateau Pichon-Longueville au Baron, Bordeaux
- 2019 Le Riche Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, California
- 2020 Tenuta San Guido Guidalberto, Toscana, Italy
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!