Wynns Coonawarra Estate was founded by Scottish pioneer John Riddoch, who planted vineyards in 1891 recognising the potential of the rich, red Terra Rossa top soil and the long ripening season of Coonawarra’s cool southerly climate.
He completed the Estate’s three-gabled winery in 1896. Coonawarra’s revival began in 1951 when Melbourne wine merchants Samuel and David Wynn purchased Riddoch’s original vineyards and winery. The Wynns recognised the intrinsic qualities of Coonawarra wines – their richness and intensity of fruit character – and set out to build an independent identity for the region.
They created the famous label that has made John Riddoch’s winery one of Australia’s best known buildings.
Today, Wynns Coonawarra Estate is the region’s largest single vineyard holder on Terra Rossa soil and Coonawarra’s pre-eminent wine maker.
With the most premium and longest established vineyards in Coonawarra, Wynns Coonawarra Estate wines are regarded as benchmarks for the district, lauded for their sheer depth and concentration of flavour.